Applying for Financial Aid

Financial aid is funding that will help you and your family meet college expenses such as tuition, fees, books, supplies, etc. The basic sources of aid are grants, scholarships and employment.

You and your parents (if you are dependent) are still considered the primary source of funding for these costs. Financial aid is intended to fill the gaps where you and your parents might fall short in paying for your education.

Follow these three steps to apply for financial aid:

  1. Submit the FAFSA.
  • All students who wish to be considered for federal and state financial aid must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA should be completed at as soon as possible after October 1 for the upcoming academic year.
  • Students whose FAFSAs are received by the priority filing date are given first consideration for some federal financial aid programs that have limited funds.
  • PTSA’s school code for the FAFSA is 041228.
  • Retain the printout of your confirmation page after submitting your FAFSA online. This is your proof that you applied. Save to your computer a copy of the FAFSA submitted online or retain a copy of the paper FAFSA or Renewal FAFSA for your file. 
  1. Watch your email.
  • Within approximately two weeks after submitting your FAFSA online you should receive a SAR (Student Aid Report) indicating that your FAFSA has been processed and sent to the institutions you designated. Check the SAR for accuracy, and make sure that PTSA is listed as the school you plan to attend.
  1. Submit all requested documents.
  • Upon receipt of your electronic FAFSA data from the federal processing center, we will mail you a letter requesting documents needed to complete your file. SUBMIT all requested documentation promptly. You may be asked to submit copies of tax transcripts or other documentation to complete your financial aid application. Respond promptly to these requests (and any follow-up requests) to assure timely processing of your application. Please check your e-mail often to see if there is any other correspondence from the Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid Office uses the PRIMARY e-mail address registered with Admissions.
  • To stay compliant with federal regulations, the financial aid office must determine if your high school credential is valid.  You must also submit all previously attended college transcripts to be a fully admitted student, whether or not you plan on transferring any of the credits to your new degree/diploma at PTSA.
  • Once documentation is received by the financial aid office, it takes approximately 2-3 weeks to process.  Please plan accordingly.

The Financial Aid office is available to assist students with the application.

Award Notifications: Financial aid award packages are e-mailed to those students whose files are complete by the priority date.

Award conditions and responsibilities: Be sure to read the emails for conditions attached to your award. Every student has to keep attendance and grade.( It should be above GPA 2.0)

Financial aid disbursement: Financial aid is awarded by the Financial Aid Office, but is disbursed by the PTSA  Business Office. If you have financial aid in excess of your tuition/fees, a check for the balance will be given to you by a check. Financial Aid awards made for the academic year are usually disbursed in two installments; one each semester, assuming you are registered for the number of hours on which your financial aid award was based.

If you have any questions, please stop by, call at 562-926-1023(Ext. 302)  or e-mail us at

Reapplying for Financial Aid

You must apply for federal student aid for every school year that you attend.

A PELL Grant award is received for one award year (July 1 to June 30 of the following year), and is not automatically renewed for the next award year. Students must re-apply for the PELL Grant and submit a copy of the new SAR or ISIR to the financial aid office for each award year. 

To reapply, you should submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you submitted a FAFSA last year, and you are eligible to complete a Renewal FAFSA, you may choose to have most of the questions pre-filled with the information you provided. Simply updating the information for the new school year on a Renewal FAFSA may be faster. However, the Renewal FAFSA is available solely for your convenience. If you prefer to start fresh with a new FAFSA, you are free to do so.

To reapply, click Login on the home page to log in to FAFSA on the Web, and then click FAFSA Renewal

  • Please note The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds you may receive over your lifetime is limited by federal law to be the equivalent of six years of Pell Grant funding. Since the maximum amount of Pell Grant funding you can receive each year is equal to 100%, the six-year equivalent is 600%.
  • Percent used: To determine how much of the maximum six years (600%) of Pell Grant you have used each year, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) compares the actual amount you received for the award year with your scheduled award amount for that award year. Of course, if you receive the full amount of your scheduled award, you will have used 100%. It’s possible that you might not receive your entire scheduled award for an award year. There are a number of reasons for this, the most common of which are that you are not enrolled for the full year or that you are not enrolled full-time, or both.
  • If you did not receive the full amount of your scheduled award, we calculate the percentage of the scheduled award that you did receive. For example, if your scheduled award for an award year is $5,000, but because you were enrolled for only one semester you received only $2,500, you would have received 50% of the scheduled award for that award year. Or if you received only $3,750 for the award year because you were enrolled three-quarter-time and not full-time, you would have received 75% for that year.

Click this links for more guidance when filing applications.

To view and download the resources from the Office of Federal Student Federal Aid.